Visa and Travel



The international airport in Wuhan is named Tianhe International Airport. Please see the Accommodation Information page for instructions on getting From Tianhe International Airport to Central China Normal University and the Guiyuan Hotel within the University.

Visa Information

The following information is for general reference only and it is the responsibility of each participant to ascertain and fulfil their own visa requirements based on their individual circumstances and consult the nearest Chinese diplomatic or consular mission in their place of residence prior to entering China as necessary.  The following information is believed to be correct and up-to-date as at the time of publishing but the conference organisers accept no responsibility with regard thereto.

A Brief Introduction to Chinese Visas and the Procedure for Visa Application

A Chinese visa is a permit issued to a foreigner by the Chinese visa authorities for entry into, exit from or transit through the Chinese territory. The Chinese visa authorities may issue a diplomatic, courtesy, service or ordinary visa to a foreigner according to his identity, purpose of visit to China and passport type. The following relates to an ordinary visa and there are eight sub-categories of ordinary visas: D, Z, X, F, L, G, C, J-1 and J-2, as follows:

Visa D: issued to aliens who are to reside permanently in China.

Visa Z: Issued to aliens who are to take up posts or employment in China, and to their accompanying family members.

Visa X: Issued to aliens who come to China for study, advanced studies or job-training for a period of six months or more.

Visa F: Issued to an applicant who is invited to China on a visit, on a study or lecture, business tour, for scientific-technological and cultural exchanges, for a short-term refresher course or for job-training, for a period of no more than six months. To apply for a Visa F, the invitation letter from the inviting unit or the visa notification letter/telegram from the authorised unit is required.

Visa L: Issued to aliens who come to China for sightseeing, visiting relatives or other private purposes. For a tourist applicant, in principle he shall evidence his financial capability of covering travelling expenses in China and, when necessary, provide the air, train or ship tickets to the country/region of destination on leaving China. In the case of applicants who come to China to visit relatives, some are required to provide invitation letters from their relatives in China.

Visa G: Issued to aliens who transit through China.  Applicants are required to show valid visas and on-going tickets to the countries/regions of destination on leaving China.

Visa J-1: Issued to foreign resident correspondents in China.

Visa J-2: Issued to foreign correspondents who make short trip to China on reporting tasks. Applicants for J-1 and J-2 visas are required to provide a certificate issued by the competent Chinese authorities.

Applicants are generally required to provide a valid passport (or other travel document), complete a visa application form and provide a recent 2-inch, bareheaded and full-faced passport photo.

The overseas Chinese visa authorities are Chinese embassies, consulates, visa offices, the consular department of the Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in HKSAR, and other agencies abroad authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China. If a foreigner intends to enter into, exit from or transit through the Chinese territory, he shall apply to the above-mentioned Chinese visa authorities for a Chinese visa. For further information, please consult the nearest Chinese visa authorities.

Invitation letter

The 11th APNME Conference Organising Committee will offer invitation letters to persons who have registered and paid the complete registration fee. The letter will provide proof of registration and proof of payment.

Official Acceptance and Invitation Letters may be obtained by contacting the Conference Organising Committee by email:

Invitation Letters can only be requested once payment of registration has been received.

Please note that when applying for your Visa you should include a copy of your registration confirmation.

Trip Advice

The average nightly low temperature in April in Wuhan is 13 °C (55 °F), and the average daily high temperature is 21 °C (70 °F). The humidity at 78% makes it pleasantly cool at night. Participants are advised to check the prevailing temperature and weather conditions (and here) shortly before their departure and prepare accordingly.

Most wall outlets simultaneously support Types A and I (See photo below). Voltage in China is always 220 V; power cords with type A plugs which are rated at only 125 V should not be used. The sockets may differ from those in some participants' home country. If so, please bring an adaptor-plug.

electric plugs and sockets

Travel insurance

Participants are advised to make their own arrangements for travel and health insurance, as appropriate for them, with their local insurance agency, and with regard to any necessary medication.

Participants are advised to take good care of their possessions at all times during the conference and their related travel; neither the conference nor any related organisations or persons accept responsibility in this regard.